The building was designed in 1933 by Percy Thomas O.B.E and is in stone with flat roofs. The magistrates' court faces Manchester Road and is in a single storey with a central porch rising to a higher level. The porch has a giant arch with voussoirs and contains a recessed doorway. The court is attached to the police station, which faces Spring Gardens, and has two storeys"
The grade II listed building at the junction of Manchester Road and Spring Gardens on the edge of Accrington town centre is being listed for auction by Pugh Auctions.
It was previously jointly used as a magistrates court and police station by the Accrington division of Lancashire Police.
According to a tablet inside the court house the buildings (Courthouse, Fire station and Police Station) were officially opened on May 9th 1935 (The year of the Silver Jubilee of King George V) by the Mayor, Councillor A. Wilkinson, The Chairman of the watch committee, Alderman, A.S. Bury J.P.C.A and the Chairman of the public buildings committee, Alderman, J. Waddington, J.P.C.C